Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 December 2009

Bifurcation should be done in a peaceful manner


Though, the Telangana Movement witnessed several highs and lows right from 1969, it is certain that the feelings for separate Telangana are very strong and constant.

It is better to carve out the State. The division of Andhra Pradesh should be done in a peaceful manner.

I have participated in the Jai Andhra Movement and Kakani Venkateswara Rao has been my inspiration.

The `mulki’ rules of Telangana indicates that people of Andhra have no right in their own State capital.

It is better to have two separate States as there are doubts in the minds of people of Telangana people about the people of Andhra region.

All the public representatives like MLAs, MPs and others should impress their respective party high commands for separate Andhra than to face insults from people of Telangana.

The young politicians from Andhra are not aware of the situation.

As a senior in the field I urge them to understand the situation and demand a separate Andhra State to keep their self respect. By doing so they will be assured of a place in history.

The new capital of Andhra State will be decided later by consensus among the people of Andhra. I have no objection if Srikakulam or any other town is made the capital.

The Telangana Movement is constant right from 1969. But, the Movement saw several highs and lows. It is like `pause and walk ‘ situation.

It may be a strategy of the Telangana leaders. But, one thing is certain there is a strong feeling among the people of Telangana for a separate State. I do not agree with those who argue that T-movement was limited to Hyderabad. The people in the entire Telangana are in favour of a separate State. Moreover all the parties, including TDP, TRS, Congress, BJP and the CPI are in favour of Telangana. Some leaders even defying their high command and coming out openly in favour of a separate State. Leaders of no party can dare to say that there is no demand for Telangana.

I agree with the idea that if the State is divided the separate Andhra will emerge as a financial super power in the country. It should be noted that several new states were formed without any struggle.

I do not say that Telangana people have inferiority complex when they raise slogans like ‘Andhra go back’.

I would rather read it to mean that the people of Telangana are unwilling to continue the ‘marriage’ with people of Andhra.

I am going to Vijayawada to hold consultations with leaders of all parties to begin the `Jai Andhra’ movement. I will also meet AICC president Sonia Gandhi soon.

Vasantha Nageswara Rao is former Home minister and presently APCOB chairman, as told to VV Balakrishna.

Don’t make students suffer

I will stick by my party’s decision notwithstanding my personal opinion in favour of a unified state of Andhra Pradesh I am an integrationist. I will neither support the demand for a separate Telangana nor separate Andhra. All the Telugu people should be united.

But, my party (Telugu Desam Party) took a pro-Telangana stand and I will abide by it, irrespective of my personal views.

As I am continuing in the party, I have to respect my Party’s decision and stand by it.

I entered politics with inspiration from Nannapaneni Venkatarao and I strongly believe that Andhra Pradesh should not be divided. Notwithstanding my personal opinion, I will stick to my leader N Chandrababu Naidu’s directive.

My sincere advice to the leaders of Telangana movement is that there should be no violence. The agitation should be continued in a non-violent manner.

Further, there is no room for people of one region hurting the sentiment of the people from other regions. The agitators should not damage the properties of people from other regions. I am also pained to see the desecration of statues of several leaders.

I am not against the separatist movements and development.

But, the agitators should keep in mind that the students should not be made to suffer.

Lakhs of students from not-so-rich families, who are involved in the agitation, will suffer. The youth should not made sacrificial lambs on the altar of politics.

My appeal to Telangana Rashtra Samihti (TRS) president K Chandrasekhara Rao is that he should not spoil his health. He has to keep fit and healthy. He should achieve his goal without sacrificing his life.

Nannapaneni Rajakumari (TDP spokesperson and MLC)

No comments: