Total Pageviews

Saturday 10 November 2012

"A Women in Brahmanism" producer admits moral wrong

05th November 2012 12:01 PM
It seems to be a season of movies landing in controversies. The two latest films to be in the line of fire are “A Woman in Brahmanism” and “Denikaina Ready”, both of which hurt the sentiments of the Brahmin community across the state.
‘A Woman..’ was originally made in Hindi and the producer had planned on dubbing in various languages, releasing them simultaneously. But it was censored by the Mumbai censor board and following widespread protests against the movie, the state government constituted a committee that would decide if the movie had ‘objectionable’ scenes or not. The government’s decision came after powerful lobbies like MLA Dronamraju Satyanarayana, minister D Sridhar Babu, MP Undavalli Arunkumar and others mounted pressure on it.
Excerpts from an interview wth the film’s producer and directer Topuri Gangadhar. A native of Prakasam district, this is his debut film.
Q What inspired you to produce and direct “A Woman In Brahmanism”?
A I am obsessed with the writings of Srisri and Chalam. Reading Brahmaneekam made me want to make it into a movie, which I did with the help of a PRO.
Q There is a controversy over the trailers of the film.
A I have deleted the promotional part on YouTube.
Q What do you have to say about the state government constituting a committee to review the film?
A I will talk on this later. When there were objections raised, I approached the Mumbai censor board on October 30 and wanted them to make 2.40 minutes cuts, deleting the word ‘Brahmin’ from the entire film. I even decided to change title to ‘A Woman’ and remove Brahmanism from the title too. I am waiting for a response from the board.
Q A section of people want a ban on the movie. What do you have to say?
A I did something morally wrong and I repent it. I have corrected it myself. I can assure that those who watch the movie will leave the theatres with tears rolling down their cheeks. The plot is that powerful.
 Q Why did you choose to make a movie on Chalam’s  controversial writings? Are you confident of the movie being released?
A I never considered Brahmaneekam a controversial novel. Once the cuts are approved, I do not think there will be any objection on the release of the movie. I am confident that the movie will be screened in theatres soon.

No comments: